- Source Plant: Thymus Vulgaris – A perennial herb, which is a member of the mint family (Lamiaceae).
- Plant Part Used: Leaf, stem and flowers
- Oil Extraction Method: Steam Distillation
- Main Constituents: Most active ingredient is the monoterpene Thymol (37-55%).
Note: Other ingredients include Para-cymene (14-28%), Gamma-terpinene (4-11%), Linalool (3-6.5%), Carvacrol (0.5-5.5%) and Myrcene (1-2.8%).
- Because the thyme plant is grown in many environments, climates and soils, there are over 300 varieties with different chemotypes, that have different health benefits.
- It is a bushy shrub with highly aromatic leaves and grows between 15-30cm tall and 40cm wide.
- Thymol is a natural monoterpene phenol derivative of cymene. It contains antiseptic properties and is one of the active ingredients in Listerine®.
- The ancient Egyptians used thyme for embalming, and the ancient Greeks used it in their baths and temples; they believed that it brought on feelings of courageousness.
- In the European Middle Ages, thyme was placed beneath pillows to aid sleep and ward off nightmares.
- The herb was also laid on coffins during funerals because it was believed that it provided a safe passage to the next life.
- View a mini clip on Thyme Essential Oil.
- In Canada, Thyme is used in Young Living’s Ortho Ease® Massage Oil.
- It is a calming blend of vegetable oils and 100% pure essential oils.
- Ortho Ease® also contains wintergreen, eucalyptus, juniper, lemongrass, peppermint, marjoram, and vetiver.
- Thyme is a key oil in the Raindrop Massage Collection.
- Use in a bath, inhale directly or inhale via steam.
- Acts as a nervine and calmative, which enhances relaxation as well as help relieve headaches.
- When experiencing digestive discomfort, Thyme acts as a carminative and antispasmodic.
- It can also reduce the symptoms of a cold and cough.
- Apply 4-8 drops with 10 mL of carrier oil.
- Thyme can be used for minor skin irritations, cuts, bruises and burns.
- Helps relieve joint or muscle pain associated with sprains, strains and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Experience relief from eczema and dermatitis.
- Local application, body massage, topical application and with compresses.
- Sprays used for muscle pain or other topical use.
Mix the following Young Living essential oils in a glass spray bottle:
Shake well before each use.
Always consult “Guideline for safe use” when working with essential oils.
15 ml (#365003) Retail: $55.26 CAD Wholesale: $42.00 CAD