- Source Plant: Mentha Piperita – It is a herbaceous rhizomatous perennial plant growing to 30–90 cm (12–35 in) tall
- Plant Part Used: Leaves and stems
- Oil Extraction Method: Steam Distillation
- Main Constituents: Most active ingredients are menthol (around 45%) and menthone (10–30%).
Other ingredients include menthofuran, 1,8-cineole (eucalyptol), isomenthone, neomenthol and menthyl acetate.
- Peppermint is a hybrid species of spearmint and water mint (Mentha aquatica).
- Fresh and minty, but milder than spearmint, this is the most common toothpaste scent.
- The plant, indigenous to Europe and the Middle East, is now widespread in cultivation in many regions of the world. It is found wild occasionally with its parent species.
- View a mini clip on Peppermint Essential oil.
- Peppermint oil’s versatility and power are the reasons it is included in many Young Living essential oil blends and personal care products.
- Its primary active compound, menthol, is present in many sport, food, cosmetic, and medical products.
- Menthol’s ability to chemically trigger the cold-sensitive TRPM8 receptors in the skin is responsible for the well-known cooling sensation it provokes when inhaled or applied to the skin.
- Menthol’s analgesic properties are mediated through a selective activation of κ-opioid receptors in the brain.
Essential Oil Blends
- Aroma Siez: A key blend in Young Living’s exclusive Raindrop Technique®, Aroma Siez™ combines lavender and peppermint essential oils to promote relaxation. Ingredients: basil, lavender, cypress, marjoram, peppermint.
- AromaEase: has a cool, minty aroma and contains powerful essential oil constituents that promote feelings of calmness when used aromatically. Ingredients: peppermint, spearmint, ginger, cardamom, fennel. How to Use: Diffuse, directly inhale, or dilute with V-6™ Vegetable Oil Complex or olive oil and apply to desired area as needed.
- DiGize: is a blend of pure tarragon, ginger, peppermint, and other essential oils that may bring about calming feelings. Ingredients: tarragon, juniper, anise, ginger, fennel, patchouli, peppermint, lemongrass. How to Use: Diffuse, directly inhale, or dilute and apply topically.
- PanAway: contains wintergreen and clove essential oils. These oils or their active components are widely used in massage after physical activity. Ingredients: wintergreen, clove, helichrysum, peppermint.
- Progessence Phyto Plus: contains a high quality wild yam extract optimally blended with vitex oil and essential oils. The first ever skin serum of its kind on the market, this essential oil-infused product enhances moisture absorption and contains pure frankincense, bergamot, and peppermint essential oils.
- R.C.: is an invigorating blend of cypress, spruce, and three varieties of eucalyptus that is comforting when applied to the chest and throat. Ingredients: Eucalyptus (E. globulus, E. radiata,E. citriodora), myrtle, spruce, peppermint, pine, lavender, marjoram, cypress.
- Raven: is a cleansing blend of peppermint, eucalyptus radiata, and other essential oils. When applied topically, Raven is soothing to the chest and throat. Ingredients: Ravintsara (cinnamomum camphora), lemon (Citrus limon), wintergreen (Gaultheria procumbens), peppermint (Mentha piperita) and Eucalyptus radiata. How to Use: Diffuse, inhale directly, or dilute with V-6 Vegetable Oil Complex to apply topically. Possible skin sensitivity. If pregnant or under a doctor’s care, consult your physician. Dilution not required; suitable for all but the most sensitive skin. Do not use on children under age 6.
Personal Care Products
- Ortho Ease Massage Oil: Designed to provide a relaxing soothing massage Ortho Ease® Massage Oil is a calming blend of vegetable oils and 100 percent pure essential oils such as wintergreen, peppermint, juniper, and marjoram.
- Lavender Mint Daily Shampoo: Plant-based, safe, and environmentally responsible, Lavender Mint Daily Shampoo is an invigorating daily cleansing blend suitable for all hair types.
- Lavender Mint Daily Conditioner: Plant-based, safe, and environmentally responsible, Lavender Mint Daily Conditioner is an invigorating daily moisture blend suitable for all hair types.
- Sheerlumé™ Brightening Cream: An advanced formula powered by a sophisticated, proprietary blend of alpine botanicals and pure essential oils, Sheerlumé™ will visibly brighten and balance skin tone. How to Use: Apply a thin layer of Sheerlumé on clean skin. For best results, use morning and night, either alone or under your favorite Young Living moisturizing cream.
- Thieves Mints: Enjoy the cool, invigorating taste of Thieves® Mints. The sugar-free ingredients include the power of Thieves and Peppermint essential oils, providing a great alternative to freshen your breath.
- Diffuse when feeling low on energy.
- Inhale for an invigorating pick-me up.
- Reduce the symptoms of cold & cough.
- Act as a nervine and calmative which enhances relaxation.
- When experiencing digestive discomfort can act as a carminative and antispasmodic.
- Its cooling effect helps relieve joint or muscle pain associated with sprains, strains and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Add to cold water compress or foot bath to cool off when overheated.
- Add to shampoo for a head massage.
- Used in the Young Living Raindrop Technique.
- Dilute according to product label for local application.
- Young Living’s Peppermint essential oil has been registered by Health Canada as a natural health product (NHP).
- This means Health Canada regards it as a naturally occurring substance that is used to restore or maintain good health.
- Note that Young Living’s Peppermint NHP registered oil has a Natural Product Number (NPN) on the label.
- Being registered as a natural health product allows you to make the claims about peppermint oil as described above.
Mix the following ingredients in a medium bowl:
- 2 cups epsom salts
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- 1/4 cup sea salt (optional)
- 25 drops of Young Living Lavender essential oil
- 15 drops of Young Living Peppermint essential oil
Store in an air-tight jar.
Use 1/4 cup per bath to relax and rejuvenate.
Always consult “Guideline for safe use” when working with essential oils.
15 ml (#361403) Retail: $36.51 CAD Wholesale: $27.75 CAD