- Source Plant: Origanum majorana comes from the leaves of a perennial herb belonging to the Lamiaceae family.
- Plant Part Used: Leaves.
- Extraction Method: Steam Distillation.
- Main Constituents: Most active chemical compounds include terpinen-4-ol, gamma-terpinene, linalool + cis-4-thujanol, alpha-terpinene, alpha-terpineol, and sabinene.
- Marjoram is considered a tender perennial that is native to the Mediterranean and western Asia.
- It is a bushy herbaceous plant that typically reaches 30 to 60 cm in height. Its closest relative is oregano, which is also called wild marjoram and has a comparatively stronger flavor.
- In its varied forms of: marjoram essential oil, fresh or dried leaves or powder, it has many uses and physiological and psychological benefits.
- The marjoram plant contains about 2% essential oil, the principle components of which are terpinene and terpineol.
- Often called ‘sweet marjoram’ experts relate the referred to marjoram as oregano’s calmer, sweeter fraternal twin.
- Marjoram is often used in herb combinations such as “Herbes de Provence” and “za’atar” to season soups, stews, dressings, and sauces.
- Marjoram’s application as a natural preservative in the food industry, is owing to the belief in its ability to prolong the shelf-life of fresh meats.
Essential Oil Blends
Personal Care Products
Diffusing marjoram has been shown to provide relief from the symptoms of:
- congestion, colds, and sore throats.
- digestive discomfort such as flatulence, nausea, and intestinal tension.
For headache relief put 6-8 drops of marjoram on a cotton ball and put it in an air vent in your room.
For an immediate positive impact on mood, put 2-3 drops of marjoram in your hands, rub together, cup your hands over your nose, and inhale deeply.
1-2 drops of marjoram blended into massage oils can relieve:
- tiff, aching muscles and rheumatic joint pain
- burns, cuts, bruises, and other minor skin irritations
- dry and itchy skin afflicted by eczema/dermatitis
- Marjoram is a key oil in the Raindrop Massage Collection.
Rubbing temples with 1-2 drops of marjoram provides:
- pain relief for headaches
- provides a calming sense of relaxation during times of stress.
- Reduce cold and cough symptoms by rubbing 1-2 drops of marjoram on the lower throat and chest area 3-4 times daily.
- Young Living’s Marjoram essential oil has been registered by Health Canada as a natural health product (NHP).
- This means Health Canada regards it as a naturally occurring substance that is used to restore or maintain good health.
- As an NHP, bottles of Marjoram oil all have a Natural Product Number (NPN) on their labels.
- Marjoram NHP status allows you to make the claims that are described above.
- Always follow label for dilution instructions.
Mix the following ingredients into a glass bottle and shake well for a hydrating douse of relief from dry itchy skin:
- 5-10 drops of Young Living Marjoram EO
- ½ cup of rosehip oil
Use a dropper to apply this blend on the affected skin, gently massage, and soak up the moisture your skin is craving.
Always consult “Guideline for safe use” when working with essential oils.
15 ml (#358403) Retail: $59.21 CAD Wholesale: $45.00 CAD